Your San Antonio area orthodontists can assist you with more than just tooth alignment.
October is a month filled with stunning fall colors, Halloween, and National Orthodontic Health Month! This national award is intended to increase awareness about the benefits of orthodontic treatment. Read on for some quick orthodontic facts if you’re not sure what that implies or how it applies to you.
What exactly does the term “orthodontics” imply?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty that deals with the diagnosis, supervision, guiding, and correction of malocclusions, according to the American Association of Orthodontists (the imperfect position of the teeth when the jaw is closed).
- Braces are worn by 4.5 million persons in the United States, with around a quarter of them being adults.
- Adult braces are becoming more popular, despite the fact that youngsters aged 10 to 14 are the best candidates for braces.
- Overbite correction is the second most popular cause for braces, behind straight teeth.
What are a few of the advantages of orthodontic treatment?
An orthodontist’s primary purpose is to assist patients in achieving their ideal smile. In addition to creating a beautiful smile, good tooth alignment enhances daily functions including speaking and biting, as well as preventing cavities. An orthodontist can do work to try to achieve the following goals:
- Close gaps between teeth
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Enhance one’s ability to speak and chew
- Increase the gums’ and teeth’s long-term health
- Prevent severe tooth wear or trauma over time
- Correct your bite
What if I don’t get my braces adjusted?
Oral health and teeth function might be jeopardized if orthodontic disorders go untreated. Any or all of the following may be encountered:
- Tooth Decay
- Periodontal disease
- Speaking and chewing difficulties
- Problems with sleep
Is braces my only orthodontic treatment option?
No! Orthodontic treatment has progressed significantly in recent years. Thanks to technology advancements and treatment alternatives, orthodontics is now more accessible than ever.
Do you want to do anything special to commemorate National Orthodontic Health Month? To begin your journey to a healthy and attractive smile, contact our office to schedule a consultation.